Staying Home and Sewing.

Thank goodness the virus is not extreme here in BC.  Yes we're in the 60's for the count of infected but with the number of people here in the Lower Mainland, that's a small number, unlike the other unfortunate countries out there.  But we've been asked to social distance ourselves and to some that means saying home.  To others that means no hugging, shaking hands, and to keep a meter distance between you and others (many people don't know the meaning of that one!!!!)

So what have I been doing?  I've been sewing of course (and doing a lot of spring cleaning).  Here's some of my UFO list completed....  which is good....  My room is still very messy, but it is getting down.

Called Pink Lemonade and it's a free pattern. 7 years old and I finally finished it but I realize why I put it away.  I'm short material, and the pieces are cut incorrectly, so I really had to work on placement.  But it doesn't look bad, just smaller.  Need to find a border that does something for this plain quilt.  Something that's busy with pink and yellow flowers.

Sew Fresh Pattern.  Love the look of it but the pieces were sooooo small, an inch for the corners of the paint dripping.  The pattern for this quilt is a baby quilt and a lap quilt.  I used three of the rows from the baby quilt to make the table top covers.  I did a squiggly link to make it look like paint.  I also used white on the dark color paint and a dark blue on the yellow one.




Then after all of this (the ones above where all partly done, I was just working on finishing these UFOs.) I also started to work on the next UFOs.  Here's what they look like:

This quilt start was just blocks that were 6 1/2 inches each.  It was the first block party that Pat Sloan was doing.  There's been a second one since, but I joined the first one (I believe there was a hundred blocks) to help me practice different styles.  There was paper piecing, applique, full applique, and block pieces.  I really enjoyed these blocks and making them, but not all turned into 6 1/2 inches.

So I put an inch and a half solid black or purple around each block, and I altered the blocks around each one.  This gives an effect around each block and gives it cohesiveness.   I'm doing 6 blocks across (48 inches across) and 8 down.  Then I'll add another 3 feet around these.  That will make a total of  54 feet wide and 70 inches down.  .  But that means I need 48 squares.  I have 47 squares and I made two more just in case.

So it will be a nice, and very very colorful quilt.  This quilt is over 7 years old, I just got tired and making all these blocks was a never ending project.  Some of the blocks were extremely difficult.  But I do like the effect of the purple and black.

This will be my next UFO to finish for the American Quilt Society and next month's UFO.

So one completed, another almost done but I need an edging to it, to make it a little bit bigger.  And a third one with the blocks completed, just have to put the purple or the black around it, and make another three rows on them.

That means that I'me almost completed three UFOs from my pile of cut ones in containers.  I've thrown out one of the containers.  So although it's massive, my two do list, it is getting down thanks to the OMG group and now with the AQS group.  It's doing great.

On my to-do list:

  1. Another month for the applique from the Two Sisters quilting company.
  2. a flower project where you use duo side sticky stuff to stick it to the backing.
  3. applique flower pattern on a pillow case that is 9 years old.
That's a lot for only two weeks.  Wish me luck.

Comments

  1. Wow! You are doing great at checking off old UFOs. I like your creativity at correcting, or changing up some of the projects. The black and purple add a nice bold look to your tiny blocks. The quilt will be so striking when completed! Cute paint brushes! Have a good week of sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. It's this "Stay at Home". It's really giving me a lot of time to catch up. That and stress makes me really hyper!. Stay safe yourself and happy quilting to you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One I missed and another done

Summer is almost over

Been busy again