American Patchwork Quilting 2020 UFO Challenge with the PHD Challenge

Quilting Gail is helping to teach us quilters how to get through our UFOs, with an analysis of why the UFOs are unfinished, and how to get through them.  This is help that I really need.  I continue to buy kits, or new patterns that I really want to do, to join all these Blocks of the Months online, that are free and so beautiful, and although I do make a lot of quilts (21 in 2019 - see this link to see them all) and finish a lot of the BOMs I need to organize my hobby room, because it's just getting too much to handle.  And organize means getting some of the UFOs completed (or that's at least part of what needs to be done) that are in containers.  There everywhere.  

So there's questions to completed, or rather questions to consider and answer truthfully.  But before I do that I need to list all my UFOs.  Now that's a very long list, so don't be surprised because like most quilters I'm a fabricaholic.  So here's the list of only the UFOs that have fabric and the pattern.

My list is on the page OMG Quilts to Complete - Updated.  I just went through them and it's totally up to date for this year.  I took off all the ones that say completed.  All are listed as to what size and what I have (like pattern or material). which are BOMs, some even have the date listed on them.  It's long, but now I need to pick one off this list and I need to answer the following questions:

1.  Why did this become a UFO?  

  • bored with the project
  • too repetitive
  • didn't like the technique.
  • too hard of a technique.
  • got too busy to even make it.


2.  Is there something that will make the finishing of this project easier?

  • do some small parts while working on another project.
  • work on it for a limited time each time I have an opportunity to sew a bit.
  • Give myself a reward at the end of it.

3.  Just do it...

Love the thinking behind the pile up of UFOs that's happening to me.  These questions will definitely help me to get them down.  But the other thing that I join every year is the UFO 2020 Challenge from the American Patchwork and Quilting group.  Every year they ask for a list of 12 UFOs and then they randomly draw a number for you to start that quilt.  It's easy and I can still analyse each one but lets the APQ do the choosing.  So here's my list:

PROJECT
STATUS BEFORE
STATUS AFTER
1  Conversation Quilt
 All material gathered, and two cut, but none sewn.  Suppose to look like this:


2.  Sew Incredible Seasons BOM 2019
JANUARY
 

3  Flamingo Barn Door for our Dining room using the SewKindofWonderful ruler.
 Have all the fabric, and some of it cut.  Need to start sewing.

4  Zen Chic Sky.
 
Have the pattern, have the geese all made, need to quilt it.  Started in 2019 in September.

5  Quilt Doodle BOM 2019
 
Have 6 out of twelve blocks completed.  

6  Black & White Paper Piece, 2018
 No before picture, I'm just doing the quilt.  Have 4 blocks completed.

7  HST BOM by Freshly Pieced.
 Have all material and now all the pattern.  But haven't started.  It's suppose to look like this


8 Dwight the Deer Quilt by Elizabeth Hartman 

All the material and the pattern.  2016 - from Craftsy Online Course.


9  Hand applique 2 sisters of Buggy Barn quilts patterns.
Joined as a BOM, have all the material and it's all by hand so great for travel.  Haven't even started it.

10  Modern quilt 
  Have all the material.  Need to cut.

11  Row by Rows to complete a queen size quilt.
  Have 18 rows completed.  Need to do 16 more.

12  There's so many more, this one I'm not going to list.  Just choose one.



So the UFO I'm going to work on is....

Time for all Seasons......  by SewIncredible.  It became a UFO because I didn't have the time to complete it with all the things I had to do with work. I got behind by two or three months, each month giving two or three blocks to do.  So I got behind and then I just gave up. Also the quilting on this quilt is very extensive, most are applique, and that means when quilting you have to sew them down.  That's a lot of sewing and quilting in the end. 
So how to get it done this time?  Well, the term is soon ending and one of my New Year's resolutions is to start to say NO to volunteering, so I'm hoping this will give me that extra time.  Also I decided to do Quilt as You Go to get the quilting is smaller chunks so I don't get bored with just sewing and not creating new blocks.  Also I'm very high ADHD which means I like to jump from pattern to pattern, so I don't get bored.  So along with that I'm going to start my teacup pattern which I have all the material, and the pattern.  It will be a surprise on what it looks like in the end.
Lets see if this works.
This is what it looks like now:




Hope to get it done.  It's also my OMG project.

Comments

  1. This analysis phase is great and so useful. Good luck with your UFO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm on Facebook, seeing everyone else finishing there January so far, so it's motivating me to no end (the competitive me that is :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One I missed and another done

Summer is almost over

Been busy again